The Learning Lab
Our state-of-the-art libraries deliver an outstanding student experience and provides access to an extensive range of digital and print collections. Whether you are preparing for your exams or improving your knowledge and awareness; whether you want to study in a physical environment, study online in your home, or find a calm space like our Hub – there’s a place at ABACUS Digital for you.
An informal space for students to hold meetings, study, or simply relax, the Hub is the latest addition to our range of student services. With the comfortable seating, ample desk area, vending machines and pool tables, the Hub is a warm and welcoming place, a perfect blend of fun and function.
How do I use ABACUS?
- Please read through our F.A.Q completely to understand how to use the platform. You may type into the search box above and log on to the system.
How does ABACUS work?
- ABACUS is running on a powerful digital library engine called SUMMON. It provides a comprehensive and flexible search engine to aid lecturers and students get to their educational materials.
Are there limitations to the usage of the study materials in ABACUS?
- Note that each of our resources have conditions of access – such as download limits and other limitations.
How do I login?
- You can login through your “CMS / LMS / 365 account”. Choose which e-resources platform you want & go from there.
Registration: Login Id & password
- Students are automatically registered & will get notification via their registered email.
I have forgotten my ID / password. How to change it?
- You may check the “forgot my password” link & the admin will follow up from there.
How do I find a book/e-book/item that I want?
- You may type in the titles / author / ISBN of the particular book / item that you need in the respective platform.
How do I access the library resources off-campus? Can online databases be accessed from outside the campus?
- You can automatically access the e-resources off-site: provided you log in with your “CMS / LMS / 365 account”.
How do I download an eBook?
- You may download the eBook by chapters via Proquest eBook Central.
The borrowing duration (eBooks & physical books):
- The borrowing duration is determined by coloured stickers (physical books) & librarians’ / publishers’ set up (eBooks).
Do I need to wait to access an eBook?
- It depends on the availability of that eBook (single / multiple users).
During MCO: Can I return my books when I come back to campus?
- You may return your books when you come back to the campus.
During MCO: Can I return my books via email?
- You may, but we prefer that you do not due to online safety reasons.
How much can a student print and copy for an eBook?
- It depends on the limit set by that publisher / library.
How long can eBooks be downloaded for?
- It is determined by the publishers’ set up for those eBooks.
Where can I return a book?
- You can return your book to the Service counter or at the Drop Box if the Resource Centre is already closed.
Can I return my books at any Library?
- No. You have to return your borrowed books at the Library where you borrowed them from
How do I renew a book and would it be possible for me to renew the book from home?
- You can renew your book by calling our Librarians at 03-79541791 (PJ Campus) & 03-22736155 (KL Campus) or email to email@example.com.
How do I reserve borrowed book?
- Reservations can be made at the Service Counter or by LIBRARIKA. Our Librarian will notify you through an SMS when the reserved item is available. The reservation will be cancelled if it is not claimed within THREE days.
What is the charge for late return/overdue books?
- The overdue fine is RM1.00 per book/per day.
Is there any reminder for overdue items?
- Yes, you will receive a reminder through email and text message prior to your due date.
How do I renew books/materials through online?
- Refer to Question 10
My lecturer asked me to use a book in the library for my work. What should I do?
- The fastest way is to use the Library OPAC on our website to check. Through the Library OPAC, you can see whether the library has the book you are looking for. If we have, you can see its location, call number and status for your borrowing. Also, you can come to the library and ask our Librarians’ assistance.
Why am I not able to renew a borrowed book?
- You may not be able to renew your books because:
- Another student has placed a request for your book.
- The book has passed its due date.
- You have already renewed the book twice.
Why am I not able to borrow an item?
- For the following reasons:
- You owe fines equal to, or in excess of RM50. To reinstate your borrowing privileges, please make a payment towards the amount you owe. Please note that fines and fees due must be paid in full.
- You may have reached your borrowing quota.
- Your account has been blocked due to overdue item or lost/damaged item report. Kindly settle the outstanding matter before proceeding with the new borrowing.
Where can I learn more about the Library’s e-Resources?
- Please refer the attached the video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_YP4gZZyMU&feature=youtu.be
What are online databases / e-resources?
- These are electronic resources such as e-books, e-periodicals, e-theses or dissertations, which you can access online and download the full text or a certain portion of the contents.
What online databases are available in the libraries?
- You may check at https://www.abacusdigital.asia/
Who can access online resources off-campus?
- All registered staff and current students are eligible to access most Library online resources off-campus.
I am unable to get into a database that is subscribed by the library. What is wrong?
- Please check your internet access. Or you may get in touch with the Librarians via chat / email.
Does the Library provide online access to past year exam papers?
- No. But you may check the LMS for this.
Where are the libraries located?
- KL Library : BAC 2 Level UG
- PJ Library : VSQ PJ Level 11
What library services are offered?
- We offer Reference Services, Circulation Services, Library Orientation Programme and Photocopying Services.
Are there group study/meeting spaces in the Libraries?
- Yes, our PJ Library has discussion rooms for students to do a group study or have a meeting.
Can BAC alumni access these resources?
- Only current students are allowed to use the library resources.
What photocopying facilities are available?
- Self-service black and white photocopiers are available at both the KL and PJ Libraries. A library user needs to purchase a photocopy card from the librarian (RM10 for 100 pages) to use the library photocopier.
How do I know what titles are owned by the Libraries?
- You can check the full list of titles available in our Libraries via Library OPAC.
What should I do if I can’t find the book I am looking for?
- Please approach the nearest library desk for assistance.
- Some common reasons why you are unable to locate the book are: It could be in use within the library; the book is misplaced; or the book is identified as lost.
How do I return a book when the library has closed?
- You can drop off the book at the Library book-drop.
Can I locate a book using the Library Search Box if I only have the ISBN?
- Yes, you can. Simply insert the ISBN number inside the LIBRARIKA OPAC search bar. Alternatively, you can come to our Service counter and our Librarians can assist you.
I have lost a library book. What should I do?
- You have to report the loss at that Library’s counter. Our Librarians will then advise whether you have to pay for the current price of the lost book or replace the book with a new copy.
Can I bring food or drinks into the library?
- We only allow drinks in covered containers into the library, in order to avoid damage to our materials, equipment or furniture. Food is strictly prohibited in the library.
How can I find a specific book in the library?
- You can utilize the Library OPAC by keying in the necessary keyword or ask the Librarian at the Service counter to check the book for you.
Can I do color printing at the library?
- No, our Libraries only provide black and white printing.
What are the opening hours of the physical libraries?
Due to the MCO, the opening hours of our libraries are as follows:
- KL Library Resource Centre & Reading hall: 9.00am – 6.00pm (Weekdays) & 9.00am – 1.00pm (Saturday)
- PJ Library Resource Centre & Reading hall:: 9.00am – 6.00pm (Weekdays) & 9.00am – 1.00pm (Saturday)
- Closed on Sundays
Why are the libraries not open 24 hours?
- At present, this is not possible due to the MCO.